more - Home Hall-Hire Places History Contact Us News Events Clubs Business Community Hallmark Links


Red kite




Red kite
Lacey Green & Loosley Row Lacey Green & Loosley Row

Loosley House, Loosley Row

By Rita Probert

Loosley House

The Earliest Records

Jabez Millard

Although It is unknown when the house was built and the Deeds have, unfortunately, not survived, there is every indication to suggest the property dates from the Georgian period.

Very little has been found about the first known owner occupier of the property, Jabez Millard, but in 1818 he was included in the List of 'Members of the Baptists' and that he resided In Loosley Row.

He is also recorded in the 'Register and Map of Property Owners' before the lnclosures of 1823 as owner of the Freehold property at No. 576 on the map, described as "House, Garden and Paddock" and also No. 624, "Allotment" of land opposite the house, which was later used as a kitchen garden. These can be seen on this section of map.

Loosley row Map c1800

The road between the properties is today's Lower Road

Loosley House c1829 to c1849

Sir George Stephen.

George, the youngest son of James and Anne Stephen, was born in 1794 at St Kitts, West Indies where James held a Government appointment.

It was initially hoped that George would join the medical section of the army, but after the defeat of Napoleon at Leipzig in 1813 hundreds of young men in the army medical staff had to seek alternative employment. George went on a three year course at Magdalene College, Cambridge with the intention of becoming a physician, but after studying law, decided that was the profession he wished to follow. Having served a long apprenticeship with a Mr Fresfield, the Solicitor of The Bank of England, he commenced to practise on his own account.

A campaign formed to help abolish slavery, The Clapham Sect, included British politician William Wilberforce and his brother-in-law James Stephen whom, after his first wife Anne died, had married William's sister. Later, James' son George also became deeply involved with the cause and was one of the leading campaigners, which eventually led to the prohibition of slavery.

On 17th March 1821 in Kensington, George Stephen married Henrietta Ravenscroft. Their first child, James Wilberforce Stephen was born on 10th April 1822 and Baptlsed on 10th July at St Margaret's Church, Westminster. The family resided at 38 Broad Street, London, where the next three children arrived at two year intervals. All were Baptised at St. Botolph-without, Bishopsgate, London: 1824 Henrietta Sibella; 1826 William Ravenscroft and 1828 George Milner Elmslie.

About 1829 the Stephen family moved to Loosley Row and named the now Loosley House - 'Collins'. - after a farm in Hampstead.

In 1833, Henrietta Stephen returned to the St John's Wood area, London where a daughter, Mary Anne was born.

Two more children were born at Looslev Row: Selina Hastings Robe, born 24 August 1835 and Baptised at St John's Church, Lacey Green on 13th October; and Hastings Fitzgerald Murphy, born 25 March 1837, Baptised 12 August. Entries in the Register of Baptisms for both, record: daughter/son of George and Henrietta Stephen Of 'Collins', Loosley Row, Solicitor.

In 1838 George Stephen was knighted by Queen Victoria for his work as a leading campaigner for the abolition of slavery. The official citation reads:

'At St James Palace, London on February 14th I838 The Queen was this day pleased to confer the honour of Knighthood upon George Stephen, Esquire of 'Collins', Princes Risborough in the County of Buckingham'.

In 1855 their first born son, James Wilberforce Stephen, emigrated to Australia and settled in Melbourne in the State of Victoria. He and his family to be would return to Loosley House in 1878...

Sir George Stephen



Reverend William Johnson Burqess

Born c1815 at Coleshill, Hertfordshire, he attended Exeter College, Oxford where he gained a BA in 1337 and MA in 1837.

Becoming a Curate of Warbledon Sussex from 1838-1840; Great Missenden 1840-1844 and Aston Clinton 1844-1848.

Whilst the Parsonage at Lacey Green was being built he and his family lived at Loosley House from 1849 until relocating to Lacey Green.

The 1851 census records the large household of family and staff.

Loosley Row

William J Burgess Head Mar. 36 Curate, Lacey Green born:Herts.
Mary Ann B" wife 33 Sarratt, Herts
Mary E B" dau. 8 Gt Missenden
William R B" son 5 Aston Clinton
Catherine Jane B" dau. 4 Aston Clinton
John Francis C B" son 2 Loosley Row
Ann Maria B" dau. 9 mn Loosley Row
Ann Lockett Servant Widow 51 Canterbury
Amelia Filbee " Unmar. 21 Gt.Mlssenden
Priscilla Gambell " " 41 Halton Bucks
Emma Watson " " 15 London

Two more sons were born in Loosley Row after the 1851 census was recorded - Arthur H in 1853 and George F in 1855.

In 1861, the whole Burgess family were staying in Bath, Somerset at 9 Raby Place, Bathwick taking one of their previous members of staff - Priscilla Gambell as Housemaid - all together with Ann Veal, a Cook, born in Cadbury, Somerset and a Footman, James Horwood, 51, Widower, born Middlesex.

During that time, James Horwood married Emma Watson (the youngest member of staff from Loosley Row).

Rev. William Burgess was author of 'Buckinghamshire Antiquities' and other papers kept in the Records of Buckinghamshire held by the Bucks Archaelogical and Antiquarian Society. He left Lacey Green in 1880 and became Rector of St Mary Magdalene, Stretton Sugwass, four miles west of Hereford; leaving there sometime in the 1880's for Epsom, Surrey, where he died on 7th February 1886.


Reverend Alfred Bousfield

Alfred was born on 5th June 1824 and Baptized at St Olave’s Church, Old Jewry, City of London on 6th October. He was one of the sons of Charles Pritchett and Sarah Bousfield. Charles was a silk manufacturer at 50 Cheapside and the family home at that time was 26 Old Jewry.

By 1841 they had moved to Sth Adelphi Place, Camberweil — a row of houses built between 1830-1834, long demolished, which stood in the area of Denmark Hill/Coldharbour Lane.

The census shows Charles Bousfield, aged 55, Silk Merchant, with five of his children, including 15 year old Alfred, whose 7 year old sister, Cornelia Sophia would eventually marry the Reverend Hugh Huleatt. Ten years later, Alfred aged 25 was a Student at Queens College, Cambridge, where he attained a BA and MA.

The 1851 census also records his father and sisters Emily aged 21 and Cornelia 17, the latter as ‘Scholar at home’, still residing at Sth Adelphi Piace, together with two house servants.

Wooden Box

By 1860, Rev. Alfred Bousfield was Curate at Woodville, a village which, until 1845, was called Wooden Box. It had once been known as such after the wooden toll booth on the road between Ashby-de-la-Zouche and Burton-upon-Trent.

Extract from a directory of 1850:

....Woodville, near Ashby-de—la-Zouch, one mile from Hartshorne, is a large and well built flourishing village. The new church of St. Stephen is a small stone edifice and the living is of perpetual curacy in the incumbency of the Reverend Alfred Bousfield. The Parsonage, built in 1845, is a neat brick residence near the church......

The 1861 census shows that Rev. Bousfield, aged 35, unmarried, incumbent of Woodville was living at the Parsonage with two servants. He was still In Woodville in 1863 when a further Directory was published. Part of the village at that time was situated in Derbyshire, with the remainder in Leicestershire, Until 1897 when both areas of Woodville were combined to fall within the County of Derbyshlre.

Marriage and Move to Warwickshire

In 1862, in the Farnham area of Surrey, Alfred Bousfield married Emma Paice. By 1868, he was Vicar at the church of St Peter ad vincula, Ratley, Warwickshire, very close to Edge Hill, site of the First battle of the English Civil War. He remained at Ratiey until 1875.


By 1877 Rev. Alfred Bousfield had retired and with wife Emma, moved to Loosley House, Loosley Row. The previous oocupants had been the Rev. William Johnson Burgess, vicar of St John’s Church, Lacey Green, and his family, who relocated to the newly built Parsonage at Lacey Green.

...Visitors from Australia

In 1878, James Wilberforce Stephen, (whom had emigrated to Australia in 1855) with his wife and two daughters, Katherine and Amy, returned to England on holiday. During that time, the family visited various places in Buckinghamshire and, most importantly for James, ''Collins'' in Loosley Row. His young daughter Katherine wrote home to her Aunt (James' unmarried sister) about the visit, described the interior of the house in detail and the hospitality of the owners, Mr & Mrs Bousfield. Whilst in Loosley Row, the family also visited Gommes' Foundry and met other local villagers, who remembered James Wilberforce Stephen and some of his siblings as children. An extract of the letter is reproduced below:

Extract of letter dated 29th June 1873 from Katherine_Vernon Stephen to her Aunt Henrietta Stephen in Victoria, Australia in which she describes 'Collins', Loosley Row.

'Oxford Terrace, London Saturday, June 23rd 1878.

My dear Aunt.....
..... ..l have a most awful lot to tell you, for we have been to see ''Collins''..... Papa, Mama, Amy and I went to Princes Risborough early and drove to a small hotel called the 'George', then Papa hired a small wagonette and we drove to ''Collins''.

You should have seen how very excited Papa got at seeing everything.... ...Papa went in first to ask Mr Bousfield if we might look at the garden and he said certainly we could, so we all went in and Mrs Bousfield came as well and we went all over the area. I think it is so very pretty. Papa says it was exactly as it was when you lived there, except the trees are much larger. It was so beautifully cool in the garden.

Mrs Bousfield was so nice, she showed us all over the house, we went into your little sitting room. Mrs Bousfield says that this is her own private room and nobody is allowed to disturb her in it. We saw Grandmama's room and the little dressing room off it that Uncle Hastings used to sleep in and we saw your bedroom and all the others. Grandpapa's study is Mr and Mrs Bousfield's bedroom. She said it was such a very pretty room that they settled at once it should be their bedroom. Grandmama's little sitting room is Mr Bousfield's workshop.

l think it is such a very nice house. I never thought it was anything like what it is. They are such queer little stairs up to Grandmama's bedroom. They wanted us to stay for lunch, but we had had our lunch before. Mrs Bousfield would take us down to her larder of which she is very proud and it was so beautifully cool.......

('Uncle Hastings', mentioned in the letter, was one of the brothers of James Wilberforce Stephen. He was Baptized at St John's Church, Lacey Green on 12th August 1837....'Hastings FitzEdward Murphy, born 25 March 1837, son of George & Henrietta Stephen of 'Collins', Loosley Row, Solicitor.)

Emma Bousfield died in 1895 aged 66. She was buried at St John's Churchyard, Lacey Green on 31st October.

On 13th May 1900 Rev. Alfred Bousfield died at Loosley House. The entry in the Burial Register for St. John's, Lacey Green, reads:

'Burried: 19th May 1900 Rev. Alfred Bousfield, aged 76, Clerk in Holy Orders of Loosley House'.

Wills Index
Reverend Alfred Bousfield of Loosley House, Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire, Clerk, died 13th May 1900.
Probate Oxford 26 July to Hugh Huleatt, Major in the Royal Engineers.
Effects; £38,220. 5s. 9d in the United Kingdom in 1900 = £5.5 Million in 2022.

Hugh Huleatt was the Nephew of Rev. Bousfield - his sister Cornelia's son.

Loosley House
As far as can be ascertained however, Loosley House was never Occupied by Major Hugh Huleatt, and the property was inherited by his sister, Constance Sarah Tighe - nee Huleatt - Alfred Bousfield's niece.


Charles Bousfield Huleatt

Charles Bousfield Huleatt

Charles, the second son of the Reverend Hugh and Cornelia Sophia Huleatt nee Bousfield was to lead an active and interesting life, until it ended suddenly and tragically at the age of 45.

He was born at Potters Bar, Herefordshire in 1863 and educated at Magdalen College, Oxford where he read classics. After graduating, Charles went on to Wycliffe Hall, Dartford for two years of theological study until 1888 and then took Holy Orders.

After Curacies at Swansea and St Mark's Church, Broadwater Down, near Worthing, Sussex he travelled to Egypt as a Commonwealth and Continental Church Society Chaplain at the Luxor Hotel, where services were held for the tourists. Charles was also a missionary and preached at a mud-brick church in Luxor. (This church was swept away in a flood during 1910).

In 1892, Charles retumed to England and in the Marylebone district of London was married. No further details have been found of this marriage.

Back in Egypt, whilst visiting antique markets in Luxor in search of religious artefacts, he purchased three tiny fragments of papyrus, which contained Greek writing on both sides. Charles donated these to Magdalen College and arranged for his mother to send them to Oxford by recorded delivery. Two months later, having received no acknowledgement that they had arrived, he wrote to the college librarian. lt is understood that subsequent correspondence between the two has survived and is held in the college library/archives.

Initially, the fragments were believed to date from AD 180-200 and for nearly 100 years visitors to the college hardly noticed them in a butterfly display cabinet — next to Oscar Wilde's ring. They have since been re~examined and dated to AD 60, allegedly parts of a 1st century copy of the Gospel of St Matthew. Now called the ‘Magdalen Papyrus’ or ‘Jesus Papers’ they are said to be the most widely discussed fragments of the New Testament in the world.

By 1900 Charles was a widower and returned to England, where his second marriage took place. On 30th August at St Stephen's Church, Kensington he married Caroline Harriet Wylie, daughter of stockbroker Richard Wylie. His mother, Cornelia S. Huleatt was one of the witnesses. The certificate also records that an Arthur Cazalet, late Priest/vicar of Truro, also attended the wedding. Charles Bousfield Huleatt, ‘Clerk of Holy Orders‘, was aged 36 and his bride 37 years old. An earlier census records Caroline's place of birth as Bombay, East India (British subject). It is believed that soon after the wedding Charles and Caroline left for ltaly.

In 1901 they travelled to Messina, Sicily, where the Rev. Charles Huleatt was much involved with the Messina Football Club, becoming only the second ever Manager of the club and was also known to Captain the team on the field. ln 1904 Charles and the team played in the Whittaker Challenge Cup beating the Palermo team 3-2 and acquired their first trophy.

By the middle of 1908, Charles was again back in England, staying with his sister, Constance Sarah Tiighe and her family at Loosley House, Loosley Row, Buckinghamshire. During that visit, on 6th September at St John's Church, Lacey Green, he Baptized baby Constance Lillah GOMME, whose mother Ellen Nolan Gomme (nee Thrupp) and father Ralph Gomme, had both worked for the Tighe family at Loosley House, along with Constances' Grandmother, Elizabeth Thrupp as housekeeper/cook. Elizabeth had been connected with the Huleatt family for very many years. In 1871 she was employed in the Woolwich household of Charles’ parents — the Rev. Hugh Huleatt and his wife Cornelia and would have known Charles Bousfield Huleatt and his Siblings from their childhood.

Constance Lillah (to become Connie Baker) was told that she was the very last baby to be Baptized by the Rev. Charles Bousfield Huleatt before he returned to Sicily. (A copy of the Baptism entry for St John's, Lacey Green confirms this, records his signature and ‘Messina’ written below his name). The Vicar of St John's at that time was Rev. William Robson.

Back in Messina, Charles’ last game with the football club took place on 20th December, when the Messina team won 3-nil against Palermo. Just eight days later, at 5.20am on 28th December 1908, a devastating earthquake and tsunami occurred along the Straits of Messlna, between the island of Sicily and mainland Italy. Messina was almost completely destroyed and took the lives of between 50,000 and 100,000 people. Amongst that number was the Rev. Charles Bousfleld Huleatt, together with his wife Caroline, their three children and a daughter from Charles’ first marriage.

Messina was in complete chaos and it took the men of the ‘Lancashire Cruiser‘, made up of English sailors, Four days to find the family buried under the ruins of their house... ...but it was too late, all had perished.

A large quantity of damaged silver items was retrieved from the middle of the house and shipped home to England. Charles’ sister, Constance Sarah Tighe decided to distribute the silver amongst the servants at Loosley House. Most items were eventually sold, but a silver toast rack still remains in the care of Elizabeth Thrupp's Granddaughter. Initially in a battered and crumpled condition, it was straightened out at Gomme's Forge.

Charles had not made a Will, but details of Administration appear in the Probate Index

1909 Reverend Charles Bousfield Huleatt of 70 Via Torrente Trapani, Messina, Italy
Clerk, died 28 December I908.
Administration London 20 July 1909
to Constance Sarah Tighe (wife of Michael Augustus Tighe).
Effects: £735. 8s. 10d resworn: £813. 18s. 10d.

Huleatt discovered the Magdalen papyrus and was also an early football player-manager of Messina Football Club. Natural disasters finally caught up with him


Lt/Colonel Michael Tighe

Michael Augustus Tighe was born at Templecombe, Somerset in 1861. By 1881 he was a Lieutenant in the 1st Derby Militia, and an article dated 16th October in ‘The Royal Irish Rifles’ reported that he had been appointed as a Probationer in the Indian Staff Corps.

He married Constance Sarah HULEATT (daughter of the Rev. Hugh Huleatt] about 1888 in Hyderabad, Deccan, India, where their twin daughters, Cornelia and Constance were born in 1890. Cornelia was named after her maternal Grandmother Cornelia Sophia Huleatt (nee Bousfield).

When the 1891 census was taken, they were back in England and living in Surrey:

The Cottage. Shalford. Hambledon near Guildford

Michael A Tighe Head Mar. 29 Lt lndian Staff Corp Templecombe, Somerset
Constance S " wife 28 Aldershot Hants
Cornelia S " dau. 1 Hyderabad India
Constance S " dau 1 "
Georgina " dau. 3mth Shalford Surrey
Mary A Crewe Serv 52 Nurse Bermondsey London
Alfred Laker " Mar 38 Gardener Sussex
Sarah " " 31 Cook Canterbury Surrey
Ada A Simmonds Un. 14 Nurse Guildford Surrey
Bessie Holmes 12 Nurse "

In 1900 Constance Tighe's Uncle, the retired Reverend Alfred Bousfield, died and his niece eventually inherited Loosiey House, where their only son Roger Bousfield Tighe was born in 1903 and Baptised at St John's Church, Lacey Green on 28th March. By that time Michael Augustus Tighe was a Major in the Indian Army. Michael Tighe and family were away from home when the 1901 census was taken On 31st March.

The 1911 census records Michael and Constance Tighe and children were visiting Cornelia Sophia Huleatt (Constance's widowed mother) at her large New Forest mansion, Annersley House, in Bank near Lyndhurst, Hampshire. (In 1943, the property opened as a Dr Barnardo's Home.)

A Supplement to the ‘London Gazette’, dated 1st January 1919 regarding the Volunteer Force during the First World War, states:

'4th vol. Batalion, Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry — Lt/Col. Michael Augustus TlGHE (late 1st Bu., R.l.R., Indian Army) to command the battalion. 29th October 1918’.

When Lt. Col. Tighe finally retired from army service in India, he arranged for his Sepoy (Indian soldier} named Isma to return with him to Loosley House. During that time, Ismo had his photograph taken, taught Ellen Nolan Thrupp how to cook curry dishes and, at his own request,
preferred to sleep in a tent in the large rear garden at Loosley House. However, Ismo oould not get used to the cold English weather and eventually returned home to India.

In 1921 Michael Tighe was appointed High Sheriff/Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire - a title awarded annually.

He died in 1932: the Wills Index records:
Michael Augustus Tighe of Loosley House, Princes Risborough died 21st September 1932.
Probate (save and except settled land) London 8 November to Sir James Leigh-Wood, CMG., CB., KBE.,
and Dick Dalrymple Goldingham, Insurance Underwriter.
Effects: £983. 3s.

National Portrait Gallery
A portrait of Michael Augustus Tighe, Indian Army Officer, is held at the National Portrait Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London.

His widow, Constance, died ten years later. The Wills Index reveals she had moved from Loosley House:
Constance Sarah Tighe of Cadsden House, Monks Risborough, Bucklnghamshire
Widow, died 2nd August 1942.
Probate Llandudno 8 October to Roger Bousfield Tighe (son) Merchants Clerk and George Oldfield, Bankers Departmental Manager.
Effects:£5,096. Os. 10d.

Col. & Mrs Tighe at Loosley House




Isma came from India with Lt/Col Tighe to Loosley House.
He taught Ellen Nolan Gomme (nee Thrupp) - Connie Baker's mother - how to cook curry dishes. Isma slept in a tent In the back garden of Loosley House
Couldn't get used to the English cold weather and eventually returned home in India.

In 1924 a Branch of the Women's Institute was formed
in Lacey Green and Loosley Row.

WI at Loosley House

The inauguration ceremony was held in the rear gardens of Loosley House, then the home of Lt. Colonel Michael Tighe, Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire and his wife, Constance.

Among the ladies on the verandah at Loosley House were Connie Baker (4th from left) and her mother (1st on the left).



Thrupp at work

Elizabeth Thrupp

Elizabeth was born between 1830/34 in Illminster Somerset, the daughter of John Grabham, farmer. In her late teens or early twenties she moved to London where on 20th March 1853, at the Church of St John of Wapping, Middlesex, she married George William Broughton,, a weaver, son of a cabinet maker. At time of marrlage George was living at 8 Green Bank and Elizabeth at 1 Morgan Street, Commercial Road.

By 1871 Elizabeth was widowed and employed in the large household of the Chaplain of the Forces (Royal Artillery), Hugh Huleatt, his wlfe Cornelia and their children in the Officers Quarters, Woolwich Common. Elizabeth Broughton was then aged 37. Her friend and colleague, Lydia Baker was, later the same year, one of the witnesses at Elizabeth's second marriage.

On 16th November 1871 at St Mary Magdalene Church, Woolwich, Elizabeth married Royal Artillery Sergeant Charles Thrupp, who was born in Northern Ireland. The ceremony was conducted by the Chaplain Hugh Huleatt who, together wlth his wife, signed the register as witnesses: they were also to play an important part in Elizabeth‘s future.

Elizabeth and Charles’ daughter, Ellen Nolan Thrupp was born on 25th November 1876 and baptized at Mary Magdalene church in Woolwich on 22nd‘ December.

Charles was born about 1839 in Charlemont, County Armagh, Northern lreland. He joined the Royal Artillery at the age of 18 on 14th October, 1857. Durling that time he was awarded Five Good Conduct Badges and a silver medal. His physlcal description states that he was: 5ft 7“ of dark complexion, with brown hair and dark hazel eyes. In 1879 Charles, at his own request, was dlscharged from the Royal Artillery after 21 years, 226 days service.

The 1881 Census records that Charles (aged 40), wife Elizabeth (aged 47) and their 4 year old daughter Ellen Nolan was residing at 5 Lansdown Terrace, Lewisham, South London. Charles, occupation shown as 'Messenger'. Five years later he died at the age of 45.

Once again Elizabeth was widowed, but her former employers at the Royal Artillery Woolwich the Rev. Hugh Huleatt and his wife ensured she had secure employment and a home with Cornelias' brother, the retired Rev. Alfred Bousfield and his wife Emma at Loosley House, Loosley Row, Buckinghamshire. The 1891 Census records Elizabeth working there as a cook. The only other occupants at the time the Census was taken on 5th April were Florence Parker, 20 years old, a housemaid and Charlott: Potter, aged 18 - a parlourmaid.

In 1911, when the census was taken, Elizabeth gave her age as 8O and was still employed at Loosley House as Housekeeper. The only other people recorded there at that time were Hettie Gooden, a 26 year old Parlourmaid and Nellie Rutland, aged 20 worklng as a Housemaid. At one time, Madge Gomme (sister of Hilda Gomme, the postlady was also employed at Loosley House as a Parlourmaid. The Tighe famlly were away when the Census was taken on 2nd April.

Elizabeth Thrupp died in 1915, aged 85 and was burried at St John's Church, Lacey Green.



Elizabeth Thrupp

The 1939 Register

An Act of Parliament in the UK -The National Registration Act, 1939. was introduced as an emergency measure at the outbreak of World War 2: Royal assent was given on 5th September 1939. A massive administrative task was underway — the taking of the registration was one of
the most important documents of the 20th century. The initial reglstration was used to produce Identity Cards, organise rationing and keep a check on where the population was residing. Forms were issued to more than 41 million people and later the information was also used in the founding of the National Health Service.

The 1931 Census was destroyed in an air raid during WW1 at Hayes, Middlesex where the Census papers were deposited. A 1941 Census was never taken, so the 1939 Register is invaluable for research purposes.

Loosley House, Lower Road, Loosley Row
The house, or part of it, was used at the start of World War II for evacuees from the North Kensington Nursery School. Below are details from the 1939 register. Many of the names have been ‘blacked out’ with the words ‘This record is officially closed‘. The modern term is 'redacted'.

The remaining entries list staff and some of the children at the school In Loosley Row. It would have been a peaceful haven for all, with a large garden and well away from the Blitz on London. Only names, dates of birth and description of work (where applicable) were recorded. The owners of the house at that time were Arthur and Joyce Waite - the first names on the list.

Staff Arthur Waite
Joyce Olive G Waite
Rosemary J. Hewett
Beryl Hankin
Hilda M. Rayle (nee Smith)
Norah B Gibbs
Ann Saunders [nee Hampton]
Ann Sylvia Hardy
Eileen M Marriett
Edward G. Dell
Margaret Savage
Annie Tomkins
10. 11.1916
lnspector af Schools
lnspector af Schools
Nursery School Superintendent
Nursery School Assistant
Nursery School Assistant
Nursery School Teacher
Nursery Assistant (Probationer)
Housemaid - Nursery
Nursery School Teacher
Domestic duties

It is understood that May Mercer was also later an Assistant at the North Kensington Nursery School, Loosley House. Kathleen May Mercer came from Banstead, Surrey and stayed in Lacey Green for the remainder of her life. During her time in this area she met a 'local lad’, Bert Ralph George Dell from Hickman’s Stores, Main Road, Lacey Green. May was a bridesmaid at his brother's wedding in 1954 and Bert was the Best Man.

On 4th August 1956 Bert and May were married at St John’s Church, Lacey Green. For many years both ran the grocery shop/general store and were much admired by the local community for the efficient and friendly way they conducted business. The shop was also a favourite ‘meeting place’ for many villagers, especially the elderly living alone.

Hickman's Stores

The price on the pump appears to read that the petrol was 1s. 5d a gallon!

The majority of entries for the names of children have also been ‘blacked out’, below are those remaining with their dates of birth:

Alice Blaxall
Henry Batchelor
Gloria Iohnson
]ean Melville
William Moore
Edwin Newton
Patricia Pittharn
Frank Seidler
John Wheeler

Another episode in the long and varied history of Loosley House and the people who resided there over the years.